Monday, December 11, 2006

Salte !!! ( I jumped !!!!)


This is one of my stories written long time ago, to be precise May 20th 2005 was when I wrote this one…

I have something every exciting to share, last Sunday I went bungee jumping...and had one of best experiences of my life.

It was at a place called palace grounds in Bangalore, I went there accompanied by 6 of my colleagues.

As we entered the gates I saw a huge crane and a small trolley tied to it. To that trolley was a diving board attached. Excited as I was already I got over excited now,” We need to jump from that high …thatz too cool…” I shouted!!!!!!

After a long wait in the queue, it was my turn. Over excited I got dressed for the jump. A couple of helpers there tied my legs to a rope and asked me to step on to the trolley. Along with me on the trolley was another guy, he was to help me jump!!!!

The trolley started moving up (140 ft above the ground was our destination) and now suddenly came in a new emotion, I was getting very very very scared...

After a while the trolley stopped moving, we had reached the top!!! Sheepishly I peeped down, everyone below looked so tiny. I could faintly see my friends below, believe me it’s not a nice view…

All my excitement of jumping had faded, I started to hate the idea of jumping from there. I turned around to the guy standing with me and I asked "Have any accidents happened here???"

He smiled… turned me around, bent towards me and whispered..."No….. don't worry".

Now it was time for me to jump…

He whispered “Move ahead” I ignored his words...
I was already on the edge of the board… even an inch ahead meant straight into thin air. I stood still, unable to believe that I was there on top doing the craziest thing ever...How could I have chosen to do this…I wondered!!!

I was clenching to the rods on either sides of me, it felt I was clenching to dear life...he slowly freed my hands. He then asked me to stretch them out, perpendicular to my body. With my brain going void, I choose to obey him. All this time I kept on whispering “I don't want to do this”...”I really don't want to do this...” “Somebody listen please I don’t want to do this”

Now I was standing at the edge of the diving board, 140 ft above the ground and holding nothing at all!!!!!! I peeped down again..and that very moment my heart stopped pounding, I started to feel giddy. Right then, the guy forced my head up and now I was looking straight into the sky and feeling little better.

He slowly whispered ..."breathe in"...I obeyed...
He whispered again..."breathe out"...and while I was just doing so, I felt two hands touch me on my back. It was a very gentle touch and I was off in the air, heading straight to the ground in great speed, with my legs pointing straight to the sky…


It took me a few seconds to realize what had just happened, I had jumped!!! I screamed, I screamed like hell.. I could not feel my heart doing anything at all...it had stopped, yes, it had really stopped!!!!! I was sure I was dead…

While on ground, I had imagined the jump would be just a second's affair, but now it seemed to never end. I was going down and down and down and down and down and down ……

When I was just about to smash my head to the ground, I felt the rope on my legs tightening, and then came a big jerk and I was going up again. I could no more feel the rope on my legs. Felt like I was left in the air to fall down and perish.

While I was being tossed up, I could see the rope going down...I grabbed on to the rope, like I was grabbing my dear life. The rope was slipping out of my hands in great speed, it was hurting me. I then remembered the instructions I got before the jump.. “Don’t hold on to anything.. or u'll get hurt". I let go the rope and also all hopes..


Now I was too exhausted……to think or feel anything at all

I was being tossed up and down in the air...with great speed and from great height...too tired to think or scream. I was left no choice but to be tossed...

The jump had blew off the band holding my hair and my hair fell loose on to my face. I could feel it silky brushing thru my cheeks. I closed my eyes. Hanging in the air upside down I was swinging sideways and up and down.

A couple of times I opened my eyes. Below me I could see people looking up to me but I could barely recognize anybody, I closed my eyes and sunk back again to the scared trance.

After some such swings, I was hanging there in the air like a dead animal .The rope had stopped tossing me more, someone grabbed my hand and pulled me down, and the jump was over...!!!!!!!


It was an amazing experience... I had done it I had JUMPED…
Five seconds after the jump, I was up on my feet....in very good shape and over excited as usual and wanting to do this all over again....!!!!!

In fact, all of us wanted to do the jump again......we ran to the ticket counter, it was closed for the day L

I must admit, it was the best experience of fear I ever had...

There is also a tragic angle to the story, by the time it was my turn to jump, it was very dark, and the pictures of me jumping have not come well. L

Anyways, check out the snaps, the snap numbered 59 shows me jumping…J

1 comment:

Poonu said...

Cool Viditha !!! sakat interesting agide :)